How to do Mountain Climbers
What is a mountain climber?
See our step-by-step guide on how to do a mountain climber
Mountain climbers is an explosive bodyweight exercise which engages multiple muscle groups at once helping to improve your balance, agility, coordination, strength, flexibility and blood circulation.
As a compound exercise that utilises multiple muscle groups in your whole body, mountain climbers are an effective way of strengthening your arms, back, shoulders, core and legs.
Another benefit of using multiple muscles at once is an increased heart rate, which will help you burn more calories. That makes this a great exercise if your goal is to get more definition in your abdominal region.
Mountain climbers can also improve your reflex speed, joint movement and overall stability. The good news is you don't need to trek to your nearest mountain to give this exercise a go!
In fact, you don't need any equipment at all as you can perform mountain climbers anywhere and at any time. To find our more, read on to discover our top tips and a step-by-step guide to performing a mountain climber.
Looking for a full body workout you can do improve your fitness which includes mountain climbers? Check out anytime, anywhere HIIT workout.
Most commonly asked questions about mountain climbers
Mountain climbers work several different muscles including the shoulders, hamstrings, core, triceps, quads and core. Because of this, it is often considered as a full body exercise.
Mountain climbers can help lose body fat provided you are in a calorie deficit which is fundamental for fat loss.
Mountain climbers is a good exercise for targeting your whole body without the use of any equipment, and for building cardio endurance and strength.
Mountain climber tips
- Keep your abs tight when performing mountain climbers
- Try to avoid hunching your back by thinking about keeping a tall spine
- Try to keep light on your toes
- This should be a fast movement so try pick your feet as fast as you can but if you're new to mountain climbers, take it slowly, and increase your leg speed as you get more confident and experienced at the exercise.
- To get the most from mountain climbers be sure to check that your bottom isn't rising into the air and that your hands remain in place directly beneath your shoulders.
How to do Mountain climbers
Equipment: no equipment required
- Start in a press-up position with your hands shoulder-width apart directly beneath your shoulders.
- As quickly as you can, pull your right knee towards your chest without letting it touch the floor then return to the start position.
- Repeat step 2 with your left leg.
- Continue until you have completed the required amount of reps.
For more bodyweight exercises like this, check out our blog on different bodyweight exercises.
If you’re not sure if any of the above exercises are suitable for you, please consult your doctor before you start it. Need guidance on how to perform the exercise? Ask a personal trainer at your gym.